Friday, June 20, 2014

Justice Center Leoben - 5 star prison

Since my Culture Project topic is about the detention Camp in Guantanamo, I have been thinking a lot about prisons in general lately. I realized, I knew very little about what its like to be a prisoner in Austria. I did a little research and found: It must be quite nice! ;)

Justice Center Leoben

The court and prison complex in Styria was designed by the architect Joseph Hohensinn.




It has room for 205 inmates and is currently fully booked. There are two inscriptions at the entrance. "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights," and "All persons deprived of their liberty shall be treated with humanity and with respect for the inherent dignity of the human person." 

On a Georgian website, the prison in Leoben was actually adverted as a vacation destination!! For Georgian conditions, the prison complex seems almost luxurious. 

The other day I read a newspaper article about a man who described daily life with an ankle monitor. It was written, that some people actually prefer to serve their time in prison than to wear an ankle monitor. I couldn´t believe it. Who would choose prison over living at home with your family? Well after seeing the justice center in Leoben I think I do understand ;)


Here are some more pictures: 










No comments:

Post a Comment